I would like to open the nominations for voting members to the Scouts Canada AGM to be held in Montreal on Saturday November 14, 2016.
All Candidates must be:
- Ordinary members of good standing with Scouts Canada
- At least 14 years of age in the calendar year in which the elections is conducted.
- Nominated by 5 ordinary members who are registered in the same Council as the Candidate.
- The candidate must be prepared to represent the Council at the 2016 National AGM (attendance on line is also possible) and at any special meeting of Voting Members that may be called.
- Participation may require weekday travel time as meetings are normally held on Saturdays
(1) Nominations open on April 17.
(2) Nominations close on May 16.
(3) Accepted candidates have the opportunity to submit candidate statements by May 23. On this day, I will send out voting instructions with the statements to all eligible voters in the council. The voting happens electronically. The voting instructions will give voters a link and ask them to select their candidates in numerical order, using a transferrable or preferential ballot.
(4) On June 16, voting will cease, and the programme will provide us with results. In the case of a tie, or even a very close result, we may have to enter into the rare tie breaking mechanism.
The voting uses the single transferrable vote system. It is fairly simple for the voters They simply rank the candidates in order of preference. The counting is a little more complicated, but easy to understand in principle. I attach a one minute U Tube video which explains it. If you go there, you will see links to many more videos that discuss STV in more depth if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqYVlB0UP0