December 6, 2017
Council Commissioner Update
I know this is a busy time of year with holiday parties, school breaks, work year ends, and 1000 little things that need to be done right now. I wanted to just take a moment and give you a quick update from Chinook Council.
We have a new leadership team in place to help lead and guide us. We will use this group’s expertise and others from around the Council to help us with the challenges and opportunities that we face this year. Let me introduce the new Council Leadership Team for the 2017-18 scouting year.
- DCC – Area Support/ Membership Growth; Mike Pitre – grow membership to 8,000 members by end of year
- DCC – Program Quality; Scott Berry – identify and share best practices for awesome program activities that challenge youth to be leaders
- DCC – Scouter Development; Steve Wierenga – create a dynamic training framework to support volunteer success
- DCC – Marketing & Communication; Dave Walker – engage community in such a manner that they feel they are well informed
- DCC – Events; Paulette Harrison – ensure council events are safe, sustainable and well managed
- DCC – Volunteer Support; David Feasel – Area & Group Health
- DCC – Volunteer Support; Ron Shields – Area & Group Health
- DCC – Volunteer Support; David Forbes – Area & Group Health
- DCC – Recognition; Trevor Dring
- DCC – Safety; Stuart Logan
- DCC – Popcorn; Heather Eeles
We have many exciting opportunities to learn and to play this year. There are indaba’s, area and Council events, and opportunities to get together to network almost every month this year. Please check the Council’s calendar for an event that may interest you or a fellow scouter.
As the fall season comes to a close, I would encourage scouters to conduct a seasonal review with their youth to see what they liked about the fall program and what they would like more of for the winter program. Once you have completed this please go on to Myscouts.ca and check the box to signify you have completed this Program Quality Seasonal Assessment.
We currently have about 600 youth that would like to be scouts but we do not have capacity to place them. If your group is open and has capacity to take another youth in any section please contact your Area Commissioner or your Area Service Manager [ASM]. Help us make the gift of scouting a reality for these youth.
I hope this time of year brings peace and joy to you and your family.
403 617 4300